The following message regarding relief and recovery efforts post-Hurricane Dorian was sent from the Division of External Relations, Strategic Communications & Marketing to the university community on Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019, at 6 p.m.
September 3, 2019
Dear FIU family,
Many members of the university community are looking for ways to help our friends and neighbors in the Bahamas who have been impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
Here are some ways you can assist through FIU:
- FIU has activated #FIUstrong to help assist FIU students, faculty and staff who may be experiencing hardship as a result of Dorian’s effects. To help members of the FIU family impacted by Hurricane Dorian, please visit fiustrong.fiu.edu/. If you are a member of the university community who has been impacted by Dorian please do not hesitate to ask for help. Write to FIUstrong@fiu.edu and let us know how FIU can help you.
- Donate to the FIU food pantries at BBC (WUC 353) and MMC (GC 319). Items donated to the pantries are for FIU students only.
Donation of hurricane relief items:
Please note that at this time FIU campuses are not drop-off sites for relief items. Please look for more information in the coming days.
- In Miami-Dade County, four county government locations will be open Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. accepting donations. County officials ask that donations be limited to items requested by the government of The Bahamas. For more information, click here.
- City of Miami fire stations are accepting donations. Please see complete list of locations here.
- The Bahamian consulate in Miami has set up three drop-off sites where they will be collecting donated goods:
- Christ Episcopal Church, 3481 Hibiscus Street, Coconut Grove
- Global Empowerment Movement, 340 NE 59th Terrace, Miami
- Shelter Aviation, 1100 SW 41st Ct., Ft. Lauderdale
- United Way of Miami-Dade and The Miami Herald/el Nuevo Herald have activated Operation Helping Hands to support the response, relief and recovery efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas and surrounding areas.
- The American Red Cross is also collecting donations for response and relief efforts.
Thank you for your interest and your efforts to assist our neighbors impacted by Hurricane Dorian. Please be mindful of making your donations to reputable organizations – such as the ones listed here – with a track record of getting the relief to those affected.